Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Hi. My name is Dante and my question is a difficult one but

Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my question is a difficult one but I will try to make it short.
I realize that I am depressed. I realize that I have low self esteem, self concept, and self identity. It wasn't until last year that I started to understand the negative thoughts and beliefs that I carry around. But my biggest issue is that I am emotionally detached, from my feelings that is. I often don't know what I feel, or how to articulate it. I feel like I have 'created' a personality for myself to hide my insufficiencies. I don't even feel like a real person. Drinking is the only thing that really helps. And when I do try and reach within myself to find my feelings, who I really am, I get a bad headache. I stay at one level all of the time so no one really believes how tragically wrong things are in my life. Any help would be great as I am running out of options. Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

I would suggest that you consider CBT.

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. Since you have no money for therapy here is a workbook that you can use to help yourself. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Ralph I have heard of that and think it will help. One last thing, any idea of how or why I came to be hidden from myself? Why it's so difficult to 'feel' and could CBT help with that?

The book (which I omitted Is called CBT for Dummies and is available at amazon.com.

I would assume you are hidding from the pain and so you numb yourself because you are ashamed (without cause of the real you). Yes I think CBT could help with that.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>