Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I frequently have to work hard to concentrate on things that

I frequently have to work hard to concentrate on things that others pick up easily, such as watching processing the news on TV while having some conversation. I am having some trouble at work and it has been suggested to me I am having difficulty focussing on the matter at hand and picking out the most important tasks to complete and being orderly. Does this sound like an attention deficit? I am qualified at masters level. I can concentrate more easily when alone. However I am not hyperactive or impulsive in any extreme way and am not someone who ends up in trouble or arguments, instead I would say I am more cautious.
Hi there. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble concentrating and focusing. This could be a symptom of ADHD - you don't necessarily have to be hyperactive or impulsive to suffer from this disorder. The "inattentive" type of ADHD has symptoms such as: easily distractable, difficulty focusing, becoming easily bored, trouble organizing and completing a task, losing things, daydreaming, and difficulty processing information as quickly as others. If this sounds like you, then you may have inattentive type ADHD.

I would suggest you talk with your Dr. or with a psychiatrist about trying treatment with medication. Stimulant like medication can help alleviate and mediate these symptoms.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That does sound like me though I can focus for a long time on academic type work which I have worked on alone. I seem to find it more difficult to focus and organise myself in practical situations.

I have successfully worked as a community support assistant for people with brain injuries. These concerns have arisen in the context of my role as a qualified nurse where I am experiencing difficulties. Would "symptoms" like these fit with something like aspergers syndrome?

I suppose they could, but that doesn't at all come to mind for me. Asperger's is much more about difficulty in social situations and with relationships and communication. This doesn't at all sound like what you are dealing with. It's not uncommon for people with ADHD to be able to focus on things sometimes, esp. if it is something they are interested in. So I think ADHD would be a good place to start. Good luck with everything. Tamara
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tamara

I just wanted to send a thank you.

I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive sub type and am hoping to trial medication and am using self help information too. At least now I am begining to understand the problems I have experienced and can see ways to improve my situation. I am now on maternity leave, have 2 young children and will be returning to work in July. I dont know if you know of any good self help guides or web sites for someone in my situation?

However I am really just contacting you to thank you for your answers as they helped me recognise I was on the right track and were very reassuring.