Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

HOW IS npd different to Obessive complusive disorder -i know

Customer Question

HOW IS nARCISTIC PERSONALITY DISORDER different to Obessive complusive disorder -i know someone who displays the npd profile but its extremely difficult to make any progress IN OUR PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP and we are no longer together -yet we have 2 gorgeous very bright kids who i have very much raised on my own against this enormously draining background

and whilst his behaviour is very eratic and fluctuates betweeen when hes coping in general and when hes not -ie when found doing something cruel or nasty becomes incredibly difficult -when asked iether blames withdraws flies majorly off the handle - is seeing a therapist but says he only has ADHD AND AN OBESSIVE COMPULSIV DISORDER
can these conditions have the same severity and patterns as nypd ?

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO SUPPORT MYSELF FROM BEING DRAINED BY HIS BEHAVIOUR -AND MINIMISE IMPACT DURING FAMILY TIMES AND VISITS?
ALSO SAYS I AM THE PROBLEM -YET SEEMS OK WITH HIS CRICKET FRIENDS AND ACQUAINTANCES AND SAYS HES FINE WITH THE KIDS BUT HE CAN MANAGE BETTER WITH THEM BUT SOMETIMES ACCUSES THEM OF BEING LIKE ME AND WALKS OUT OR CUTS VISITS SHORT WHEN HES IN A BAD MOOD -YET CLAIMS HES BEING FAIR AND ITS ALWAYS BECAUSE OF ME AND MY EXPECTATIONS -HOWEVER TRIVIAL ANY CONCERN OR ISSUE IS -HE CAN CREATE AN ALMIGHTY ARGUMENT OUT OF NOTHING !!

wOULD BE GREATFUL AS TO HOW WE CAN GET THROUGH FUTURE SOCIAL CONTACT ESPECIALLY A HOLIDAY ABROAD FOR THE KIDS ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Narcissism and OCD are two different disorders. Narcissism takes place where one inflates ones own importance and discounts other peoples feelings, etc. OCD is an uncontrollable need to to repetitively do or think of something. If you realize that the other person is afflicted with the disorders (consider the source) you can lessen the degree that it impacts upon. The approval that you need should ideally come from yourself. which is the only thing you have control of.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Are you saying that we should not expect clarity or validation from the other person about what we can expect from him. The approval we seek is to understand whether its possible to have a reasonable relationship and if these disorders can be managed by an individual with help/therapy and can such help improve the individuals ability to communicate more effectively in his relationships with his loved ones.

Your answer helps define the terms -but limiting impact requires a better understanding of the other persons/conditions and lilmitations and then how we can manage our own expectations and feelings -including parameters for me and the kids.

Are there any self -help guides or resources i could access .

We dont need his approval -what we need is an understanding of how complex personality disorders are impacting on family life and how we can limit the fallout ?

And how he can continue to play a part in his childrens life without the destructive side taking over important occassions?

thanks