Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have been feeling like I am in a fog and therfore feel unable

I have been feeling like I am in a fog and therfore feel unable to read and watch telly and jsu be for a couple of years does this mean I am psychotic. I have had extreme anxiety fro years and do not know if this is why I feel like this, please advise and let me know if there is a way out. I have spent years going to different counsellors since the first one I went too said I was co-dependent and a sinner and my partner was a lame duck, at the time I was doing an Ou degree and could go to summer school on my own and was just being so I felt, cou;ld go on holiday, now I can't look after myself as well as my 84 tr old mother. Any advice, its as though I have become obssessed with fixing myself to the extent of not having lived life.

You mention no sign of of psychosis which would involve hallucinations, and delusions etc. You have been in therapy, but the type of therapy is most important.

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety attacks decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

Incidentally, for therapist to label a patient a sinner is most unprofessional. I wish you luck and hope you do not give up on treatment.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.