Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

My wife is severely depressed but refuses to take medicine

My wife is severely depressed but refuses to take medicine as treatment, stating that they won't work, will make her feel detached or will make her get fat and retrigger her bulimia.

She refuses to acknowledge that her depression is what paralyzes her, makes her feel trapped, hopeless, friendless, a "loser", etc. I try to talk to her but she says I'm not listening. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest that your wife undergo a thorough evaluation by a cognitive behaviorial therapist. . In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety decrease. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

It can prove effective even without medication.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In the past when I have suggested therapy, she will not make an appointment. Short of kidnapping her what is a good way to suggest therapy?

I would suggest that you frame it as your problem and that you see a family therapist. This may make it it easier for her to accept it without feeling threatened, etc. You can find a good family therapist at .

Ralph LMHC