Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

My question is one that is driving me mad! For years Ive wondered

Customer Question

My question is one that is driving me mad! For years I've wondered if I am smart or dumb.
I finally took a Mensa supervised test a couple of weeks ago. So you would think I would now have my answer since the results came in last wk.. well I kinda know but now think it proves that I'm just average but I'm not sure. There were two tests, both Cattel type. The first was a verbal/logic one and the second was a pattern based (culture fair) test. In the first test I got an IQ138 (95 percentile) and in the second IQ103 (58 percentile). From what I've read about IQ tests the first measures learned IQ learned intelligence and the second is for fluid 'innate' intelligence. Does this mean that I'm not especially bright but have been well educated? Or are these two types of intelligence and I am better in one than the other? Would anyone score well who's been to college? Am I bright or average please tell me!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Here is the question of the day. Why do you need to know this answer? Do you think you are dumb? Why do you need a score to tell you if you are smart or not?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I often feel that I am incapable or not so smart. I thought at least if I had this piece of paper then it would tell me something. I am guilty of trying to find answers through tests, online info etc. I feel that people around me are brighter than me (not surprising as I work in office of professionals) and in some ways brighter probably means better.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
You are not going to get your answer from a test. Your idea that brighter means better is severely skewed and this represents the real issue. You have low self-esteem, don't believe in yourself a whole lot, and are constantly comparing yourself to others. A test is not going to take all of this away. The better solution would be to work through your beliefs about yourself so that you feel better about yourself no matter what a test or anybody says. Get into counseling and work through these issues so you can start feeling better and you can stop driving yourself crazy with this whole test ordeal. Good luck.