Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have been on venlafaxine between 75mg and 150mg for over

I have been on venlafaxine between 75mg and 150mg for over 10 years now for depression. Since having my second son (I took prozac 20-40mg during the pregnancy but wasn't great) I have had severe depression. I was taking 150mg venlafaxine but was still feeling guilty and that i couldnt cope with two children (relying heavily on my mother to look after my baby) depressed about my inability to lose weight and stop smoking ( I started again after my son was born). I heard that reboxetine does not cause weight gain and have been tapering off venlafaxine and onto reboxetine. I started off great but then went downhill. I felt unmotivated, tired, sad and hopeless, so against the wishes of my doctor I went back on the venlafaxine, I still felt bad after a few days so have also continued with my reboxetine, taking 150mg ven and 8mg reb. Is this a safe combination. I feel marginally better after 1 day.
Roboxatine is a NARI and works best for depression that lacks energy. It does not effect serotonin, so can be used with SSRI. Unfortunately, effexor is a mixed and complex antidepressant. At low dose it effects Serotonin. Middle dose serotonin and Norepinephrine, thus interact with roboxatine, at higher levels it also effects dopamine. It is a relatively complex matter. NARIs are very new. The safest would be to take Just the Roboxatine. Second safest would be to combine NARI with pure SSRI (Prozac). Third choice with some unknown risk, drop effexor to 75 mg so only effects serotonin and after 3 week quit it and see how you do. The roboxetine should be fully kicked in by now. If not, go confess to doctor and see specialist or see if he will go you low dose SSRI. BE very careful and give roboxatine time to work, and no more than 75 of effexor.