Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

WHAT CAN I DO IF I PANIC AS SOON AS I HEAR THAT MY SON OR ANYONE FROM MY FAMILY IS LEAVEING OUT OF TOWN FOR A WHILE I FEEL LIKE I GET ANXIETY RIGHT AWAY I NEVER ESED TO BE LIKE THAT LIKE THEY ARE GETTING MARRIED AND OF COURSE THERE GOING ON A HONEY MOON AND I START TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT IM GOING TO DO WHEN THEY LEAVE I JUST LOOSE IT I DONT KNOW WHY i know that it should not bother me but i just cant stop thinking so much i try to stay busy but it just stays with me and i cant leave with out makeing sure i have a xanax with me or i freak out quick i have to learn how to stop liveiong like this could you please help me i know they say breath deep breaths but that does not work and if i go home and nobody is ther i start haveing an anxiety attack
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Xanax works wonders for just this kind of problem, and as long as you take it within the bounds of your doctor's orders, you should be fine. Sometimes people with anxiety worry so much about taking their medicine that they wait almost too late to take it and then the effect is diminished.

You can talk with your doctor about perhaps being on an antidepressant that reduces anxiety for a little while till you straighten things out and get used to your son's marriage & honeymoon. It will also help you with your generalized anxiety and panic.

Yes, there are side effects to Xanax, and it is an addictive medication if abused. Most people with anxiety take it regularly so that the anxiety doesn't get a foothold and take them for a ride. In your case, I think the side effects of your panic and anxiety disorder are much worse than the side effects of the medication.

I'm going to give you a couple links so that you can find out more about these issues:

generalized anxiety disorder

panic disorder.

Taking your Xanax regularly will help you.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.