Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

Hi. Im 19 years old and currently studying performing arts.

Hi. I'm 19 years old and currently studying performing arts. my family's always been slightly weird with emotional responces. mood swings etc. and i've always been a bit like that, but it's started to get more intense. I have days when i feel really happy - too happy, not really caring that much about others and i am almost angrily happy and i sometimes do things that i regret days later. sometimes i feel totally normal and other days i feel completely down and unenthusiastic and that i'm worthless and can't do anything. i feign illness so i don't have to get up and sometimes i get to college and i just can't go in. i have nothing really wrong in my life, so i don't know why i feel this way, but i have started dreaing about suicide and having odd flights of fancy. i don't know why i modd swing like this, but it's just getting more and more intense and it's messing with my part-time job and my college, which will ruin my life. i feel so lost and i don't know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

It sounds to me as if you may well be suffering from depression, but one cannot make a definite diagnosis at a distance. That's a job for your doctor,and the sooner you get to see him the better. Your mood swings,occasional anger, withdrawal and lethargy are fairly common symptoms.

Your GP can get you on to some medication which will help you feel better - more like your old self, and in addition I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

Experience: ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.