Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

Two people are in conversation and a certain sentence in the

Two people are in conversation and a certain sentence in the conversation causes an arguement. The scenario is that the speaker speaks a certain word in his sentence but the listener hears a different word than the one spoken. An arguement erupts since the listener is sure that one word was said but the speaker is also sure that a different was said. Is it possible that if either the listener or speaker is truly wrong but their brain forces them to accept what they think they heard/said is correct?
Both persons are entirely certain of which word they heard/said and are not arguing just because they cannot lose.
Also if there is no explanation for this, who is most likely to be in the wrong?
The brain will not force the person to accept what they think they hears. More than likely it is the person not willing to admit they are incorrect. I would side with the speaker in the situation since that person knows what they either said or intended to say. This goes back to the listener clarifying what the speaker said. So for example, "I heard you say... is this correct?) Easy mixup in communication that can be easily resolved.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My scenario is to not have to go to the clarification stage as the listener is already very sure of what he/she has heard. And of course the speaker knows what he/she intended to say.

Is it possible that the speaker has subconsciously said something different from what was intended and does not know it? Which explains why he/she is sure that what was said is exactly as intended.

Please note, the word being confused here is not phonetically similar.

When we start talking about subconscious we are venturing into unknown territory. You have heard of Freudian slips and even this is not a scientifically proven phenomenon. I think if you say it then you mean it and that there is no mystic force (i.e. subconscious) that is trying to push through and make you say something you did not want to say. That is my two cents.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply, so to clarify, your opinion is that there is not much chance that a person will utter something different from what he/she intends to say? (when not multi-tasking and concentrating only on the speech)

That would be my stance.