Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

Can you tell me if antidepressants are any use for what used

Can you tell me if antidepressants are any use for what used to be called depressive reaction. I am not sure if the term is still used. It involves sudden , overwhelming feelings of inferiority , of being sunk, by something that has just happened e.g. an encounter that has gone wrong or a failure at something important to one. i would be glad to know if it is something only dealt with by therapy or if an antidepressant could block the feeling and possibly break the habit of going immediately downhill, maybe allowing the possibility of other, good feelings to feed in and break the cycle.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for visiting JA.

Probably the most effective treatment for depression is a combination of anti-depressant medication and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

I would certainly recommend you see your doctor, and discuss this issue. He can put you an to an appropriate medication which should help you greatly - you should be aware, though, that it sometimes takes 4-5 weeks before you notice a beneficial effect, so don't give up if you do not feel better immediately.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is aa form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT: