Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

my daughter-in-law is a therapist, who has her own client-centered

my daughter-in-law is a therapist, who has her own client-centered therapy practice in chicago. She is well-regarded in her field. She is the mother of two adopted boys.4 and 1. SHe and my sone are exceptional parents.
Is it appropriate for her to bathe with her four year old and to let him touch her breasts? She obviously believes that this is o.k., and I would like your opinion, as I know that thinking about theses issuses changes with the generations, and I would not think of interjecting any thoughts on the subject with her.Hehastoldher that he hasdreamsabout doing it, and I havewitnessed himpulling at her shirt,or trying to look in her breast pocket,when his parentsboth commetedthat itwasan attempt to get a peek.
I would very much appreciate your sharing youropinion and your resources for it. thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for visiting JA.

Frankly, I do not see a problem here, with the one reservation that by about five, children should really be learning that ther are body parts that are private. Bathing together is probably a good place to bring these issues up.

Your daughter-in-law is clearly happy with the situation, as it seems, is her husband.
After all, up until recently, her breasts were a main source of comfort. There really is no hard and fast rule - families differ widely.

I would not be concerned unless his behavior became obsessive.

You might be interested in some parents views on the issue here:

The is a good source here:,1510,6246,00.html