Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

hi im a 30 year old male who has history of anxiety . i have

Customer Question

hi im a 30 year old male who has history of anxiety . i have two small girls and my problem is that i recently purchases a firearm for home defense purposes and out of the blue i had a very intrusive thought of hurting my girls with it. i now feel depressed and scared because i cant get that thought out of my head and its eating me that i even thought of that. I know that i am not going to do anything but i feel like i fell into a mild depression due to this thought and i lost my appetite and my anxiety is high. I just want to know if this is ok? i love my girls and i just wished i never had this thought Im afraid to tell anybody because i fear i might be sent to a mental hospital.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
These are called intrusive thoughts and are common in anxiety disorders, mostly obsessive-compulsive disorders. They are basically harmless but anxious people have a harder time letting go of them. You have to realize that these are just random thought processes but get "stuck" because they are so horrible. You could safely seek help. You would have to the intent to harm them to have anyone even consider this as a issue of dangerousness. They will likely tell you what I just did, which should be reassuring.