Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

When I was growing up, I was the only son out of three kids

When I was growing up, I was the only son out of three kids in the family. My dad was always traveling for his job, so there was no other male to talk to on a regular basis. So consequently, I spent time in my room by myself and actualy talked to myself. anyway, now that I am damn near 30yrs, I talk to myself alot and end sentences out loud, and i find myself just wanting to be left alone, turning my phone off because i know that no one is going to call me and not wanting to have any contact with a physical person. I really don't like going out to do much and I really hate being near large crowds. My question "is talking to one's self (a two sided conversation) a sign of serious mental illness?"
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Talking to yourself, two sided, is not an indication of any mental problem. If you hear other voices and talk to them, that is a problem. I think it is just how you learned to cope as a kid and carried over to yourself. If your isolation does not prevent you from enjoying your life or being functional, it is OK too. If it bothers you, it may be worth seeking counseling.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no voices other than my own conscience. i still enjoy doing things, but its just not a big list and just being alone and quiet is at the top. thanks for insight.
You sound fine. Not to worry.