Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

I have been seeing a Psychiatrist for 7 years. For about 4

I have been seeing a Psychiatrist for 7 years. For about 4 years I have been on Xanex .5mg twice a day same dose for 4 years, and also Ambien 10mg for 4 years. Some may say these are medications that are only to be used for short term, however I have been perfectly controlled on these medications for sleep and for anxiety. Am I ok to proceed? I also take Cymbalta 60 mg, and have for about 5 years.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

All of the medications you are taking are perfectly acceptable for long term use, and it is good to hear that they are being effective for you. Your Xanax dose is really at the upper limit

Problems do arise if you attempt to discontine any of them suddenly, so please don't do that - if you did wish to do so, you should agree a planned reduction program with your doctor.

There have been some concerns about the long term safety of Cymbalta - however, such studies as have been done seem inconclusive.

There are no listed interactions between the drugs you have mentioned
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi there. Thank you for this help. I will pay you I just have a few more questions. One, I have not heard there were long term concerns with Cymbalta, I have been thinking about switching to something else anyway because of the cost.... any suggestions?

2nd, on the xanax and ambien. I have had the same doctor for 7 years in Ohio, now I have moved to Arkansas and there is like a 6 month waiting list to get into a new doctor here. I will run out of medications and have to stop , what action can I take?

Xanex 1 mg a day doesnt seem like a lot, it is the XR version. I know of people who take like 2 mg a more.

Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
Ooops! I misread your post. You said 0.5 mg/day xanaz, and I read 5mg/day Xanax.

You can buy your medicine privately ,and I believe that the people at this site can help you - not just by selling you meds, by the way, but in getting them virtuallty for nothing:

In your place I wuld stay on the Cymbalta until I had seen the new Doc.