Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

i have a 22 year old son that refuses to see a doctor for his

i have a 22 year old son that refuses to see a doctor for his anxiety. it is getting worse ... do you have online doctors that could prescribe xanax for him after an online questionnaire or interview is done?0xanax%20for%20him%20after%20an%20online%20questionnaire%20or%20interview%20is%20done%3f/
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

There is no way for him to be prescribed any medications over the internet. He could defiantly receive some counseling from some sites but no medications. The best thing to do is to continue to encourage him to seek help. Also if you find that he is no longer functioning and you feel he really needs to help you can always try to get him taken to a hospital involuntarily for treatment. This is if he is a danger to himself or others. But if he is really anxious and unable to function he could be considered self neglect and a possible danger to himself, it may be pushing it and it also depends on how bad his anxiety is. You could also continue to provide him with information on his anxiety and hopefully he will come around and desire to seek help. Please let me know if I can assist anymore, I am here to help, and will answer any further questions you may have pertaining to this question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's not that he has never seen a doctor for his depression and anxiety. He was seeing our family doctor who had prescribed him some anti-depressants and anti-anxiety and he seemed to be doing well. He had tried a few different anti-anxiety drugs but Xanax is what really seemed to help him when the anxiety seemed to hit him quickly. He doesn't like to be around large crowds and panics sometimes. After awhile of prescribing this type of medicine my family doctor thought it would be best for him to see a psychatrist to help manage the two types of medication together. This doctor prescribed several XR Anti Anxiety meds to my son, which he tried, but nothing seems to have worked like the quick acting Xanax and that is when he started refusing to go back to the doctor because the meds he was being put on did not seem to work like the Xanax once the anxiety already started. He dealt with this last doctor for about 6-9 months. He's not a threat to himself or others but he has withdrawn so much from being around people that it has caused him his relationship with his girlfriend, it's really hard for me to want to be around him sometimes because he never smiles, he extremely moody all time. He was actually a very happy child but it's been within the last 6 years that this has changed. The doctor said that it is depression and anxiety and not bipolar. I have a very large family (7 brothers/sisters and 22 nieces and nephews) who he use to love to be around but anymore being around people really makes him anxious.

I guess I am wondering why would this doctor not prescribe Xanax if we know it worked for him in the past. I think the last one he put him on was baspar(sp?) and it made him so tired during the day even taking a half dose that the doctor prescribed that he had a hard time functioning during the day.

Any suggestions?

Expert:  Kelley replied 4 years ago.

I understand he must be frustrated as well as you too. Medication is sort of a hit and miss and can take awhile to get him on the right medications. All doctors have different reasons for prescribing the medications they do and may be he wanted to try him on a more stready anti anxiety medication such as the xr medications to see if he could build up a steady leel of it is his system. But it dosent' sound like it worked for him.

I would suggest a few things. One is to go back to the same psychiatrist and have your son write down his concerns and discuss them with the psychiatrist. It can be hard for any of us especially a young man to really express his concerns to the doctor. Another option is to encourage your son to see a new psychiatrist and let him know what medications worked in the past and what ones did not. Also it can help to have you go to the appointments with your son if he will allow you to help describe his stymptoms and his concerns if he is unabld to do so. You do not need to stay the whole appt. but just the beginning to help get the concerns across.

Let me know if this helped!

Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience: BSW, MSW, LCSW