Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

My husband is addicted to hydrocodone and soma. Recently I

My husband is addicted to hydrocodone and soma. Recently I discovered that he was taking 120 soma tablets in 10 days. His previous doctor prescribed him 240 hydrocodone per month and he runs out after three weeks. He is bipolar and I need to do an intervention but I know he is in serious denial. Is there anything I can say or do to get him into rehab?

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

He defiantly is taking large doses of both medications and can be very dangerous for him, as I'm sure you and probably he knows.

It is very hard to get an addict to see the need for help until they hit rock bottom. Even if you force him into treatment if he does not want to stop he won't. There are several things you can do. One is inform him prescribing doctor of the doeses he is taking and how fast he runs out. Another is going to a probate court and getting your husband an order for an evaluation. In Florida they are called Marchman Acts but all states have a different name for them but you can look up marchman act and get an idea of what it is. He will be angry at both of these interventions unless he really feels he needs help but are at least a way to get a professional involved in helping him deal with this.

I would also suggest you begin attending al-anon meetings. They are for loved ones of addicts and should really help you through this.

Please let me know if I can assist anymore, I am here to help and answer your questions.