Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

hello, i had a mental health assesment today, and word of a

Customer Question

hello, i had a mental health assesment today, and word of a borderline personality was mentioned im now waiting to see a psychiactric doctor for a diagnoses, please can you help by telling me how he is going to do this? what im going to have to do? is there lots of tests i have to do so they can find out whats wrong with my mind? thankyou
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
They will likely just talk to you and take a history. You usually don't need testing for this. Eating disorder and self harm are major symptoms of borderline personality, but you are young, so this may not be the diagnosis. Don't be concerned about the exam. It will be just like talking to the mental health people.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do you think because im young im going to be fine? is it possible that im normal and its everyone one else with the problems.
if its not a borderline personalit could it be something else and what?
This is usually related to trauma (abuse, severe power struggles) in childhood and adolescence. If this is not in your background, it may be depression and some impulsive acting out in your youth. You may have to learn some new behaviors and coping skills, but it sounds like you have already started doing that, which is a good sign.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i did have abuse in my life, so is that why mental health think i have a bpd. should i trust peoplw who think im not normal.
The abuse leads to faulty learning of bad ways of coping with people and stress. For example, your eating disorder and self harm. If you mean trusting professionals, I would say yes. Your history and self harm is not "normal". These people can help you learn new ways to cope. Often we know what we are doing isn't working, but don't know what to do instead. They can help you. Being Mistrustful is also common - you were hurt, it has to be hard to trust.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thankyou xx
You are welcome-sorry took so long to reply. The JA server has been crashing. Please press accept so I can be credit for my time.
Ed