Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Is it normal to have frequently thoughts to want to just go

Customer Question

Is it normal to have frequently thoughts to want to just go drive whereever or at night just want to go outside and stay outside and wonder the streets all nights or if around water to just want to just jump in and swim. I get to the point where my entire body yearns for me to do these things but I struggle to not do them because they aren't the "normal" thing for me to do and I have to be perfect all the time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Both perfectionism and these types of intrusive thought are some of the stronger symptoms of Obsessive-compulsive disorder. You can likely be treated with medication and/or psychotherapy. It is not the content of the thoughts that is symptomatic, it is the fact that they intrude into your mind to the point of distraction. You need to see a psychologist for diagnosis and potential treatments.