Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

i have had depression twice in the last three years - once

i have had depression twice in the last three years - once was just after my son was born and the other was out of the blue but after a crisis - i seem to be find when i go through a crisis or bad situation but then afterwards i get panic attacks and now feel that the depression feelings are coming back for a third time - the last two times that i had depression i was put on medication but only for a couple of months and then was weaned off them again and that was it- is there any techniques or food that i could do or eat that would stop this from happening again
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 4 years ago.
Since this is your third episode of depression, you have recurrent major depression. In the other two episodes you should have been on the medications at least a year to prevent relapse. You should be on an antidepressant that helps also with anxiety at least a year and the standard of practice is on third episode to stay on it longer term. Since previous treatment was short, you could try going off it in a year, but chances are you will have a recurrence. SSRI's and SNRI's are best for anxiety and depression.

Exercise, vitamin D can help, but not fix this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If i should have been on the medication for at least a year why was i told to come off them after such a short period of time - both times were with different doctors - what do i say to the doctors when i return to them

I have no clue why, I was curious about that myself. If they gave you benzodiazapines and just treated the anxiety, it would make sense. Antidepressants, makes no sense. I spent 3 years on the medicine department consulting with primary care. I can tell you they are not often well versed with mental health. Often patients will quit meds when they fell better, but relapse is almost inevitable (maybe a couple year down the line, but it does re-occur).
If you remember what you were taking, I might have some idea what happened and can better advise you how to talk to doctors.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was put on Fluoxetine 20mg capsules - one capsule a day
OK, then I have no clue why they kept you on it such a short time. Good medication. I would just tell them you did some reading and found they recommend a year of treatment before discontinuing. They should have a PDR, ask them to look it up. It is Medicine 101 for Mental Health, so I am at a loss to explain their behavior other than lack of knowledge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your time and help - i will go back to my doctors and argue my case politely but firmly and see what transpires
Thanks and good luck. Please press accept so I get paid for my ime.
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience: Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.