Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

i have had depression twice in the last three years - once

i have had depression twice in the last three years - once was just after my son was born and the other was out of the blue but after a crisis - i seem to be find when i go through a crisis or bad situation but then afterwards i get panic attacks and now feel that the depression feelings are coming back for a third time - the last two times that i had depression i was put on medication but only for a couple of months and then was weaned off them again and that was it- is there any techniques or food that i could do or eat that would stop this from happening again
Since this is your third episode of depression, you have recurrent major depression. In the other two episodes you should have been on the medications at least a year to prevent relapse. You should be on an antidepressant that helps also with anxiety at least a year and the standard of practice is on third episode to stay on it longer term. Since previous treatment was short, you could try going off it in a year, but chances are you will have a recurrence. SSRI's and SNRI's are best for anxiety and depression.

Exercise, vitamin D can help, but not fix this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If i should have been on the medication for at least a year why was i told to come off them after such a short period of time - both times were with different doctors - what do i say to the doctors when i return to them

I have no clue why, I was curious about that myself. If they gave you benzodiazapines and just treated the anxiety, it would make sense. Antidepressants, makes no sense. I spent 3 years on the medicine department consulting with primary care. I can tell you they are not often well versed with mental health. Often patients will quit meds when they fell better, but relapse is almost inevitable (maybe a couple year down the line, but it does re-occur).
If you remember what you were taking, I might have some idea what happened and can better advise you how to talk to doctors.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was put on Fluoxetine 20mg capsules - one capsule a day
OK, then I have no clue why they kept you on it such a short time. Good medication. I would just tell them you did some reading and found they recommend a year of treatment before discontinuing. They should have a PDR, ask them to look it up. It is Medicine 101 for Mental Health, so I am at a loss to explain their behavior other than lack of knowledge.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you for your time and help - i will go back to my doctors and argue my case politely but firmly and see what transpires
Thanks and good luck. Please press accept so I get paid for my ime.