Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

My daughter is 9 yrs old and she is displaying sexual behavior....she

My daughter is 9 yrs old and she is displaying sexual behavior....she has now told me that her step brother has been touching her. She wont really talk to me about I was wondering what should I do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
How have you addressed this so far?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This all just came out on Saturday, so far the only thing I have done is just talked with her. The way I found all this out is because she has a cell phone and I just happened to check her text messages and she had been texting a grown man telling him she loves him and that she wants to have sex with. She has even talked to this man on the phone before. Thank God he was a nice guy and told her not to text him anymore because she was a child. I called the man and he comfirmed that he had talked with her and told her not to call him anymore. This scares me because she still denies that it was her. I asked her how did she know about sex she said she doesnt. Then I asked her if she has ever been touched and thats when she told me that her step-brother used to touch her. Im not sure if its still going on but I need to know how I should handle this situation. Her step-brother is on 11 years old.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I think in this case I would have her see a therapist and explore this issue further. My guess is that you will need to be in therapy with her, at least initially, to provide information she may be reluctant to give. That would be my first move and let the therapist help you decide the best approach to this matter. Obviously talking it over with her is a good step but also educating her on good-touch bad-touch and exploring her encounter with her step brother needs to happen. But definitely touch base with a therapist .