Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

i have been married since last August.we have started sharing

i have been married since last August.we have started sharing our past relations after one week of marriage and there after it affected us adversely. I had real bad expereinces in my past relatioships. after hearing my wife's past i started doubting her. I know very well that she is innocent and cant even compare her past with mine,but my mind is not ready to trust her. since last 3 months i always worry about these things and always thinking that she is hiding something from me. we love each other very much and this is seriously affecting our daily life. I use to mentally torture her everyday by asking different questions and after a while she became frustrated and started behaving like a real mad person including self hurting. And i even doubt these actions too. Evryday she use to cry infront of me and still i couldnt able to believe her. please advice us. please note now every moment in my life i think about this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i would say that it was to early in your marriage to bring to discussion about past affairs / relationships , as you still had to go a long way to build that unique trust that needs to be there to discuss such insecure topics with each other in the first place.

Anyhow , it seems , you just rushed up due to your past where in you had to bear a lot of insecure moments in your past relationships , but you have to know for a fact that all relationships are not similar , like all humans are not similar in their thinking patterns , attitude and commitment to a relationship.

However, now the problem you and your wife are facing is regarding your Obsession about your trust in her , which you yourself at times feel unreasonable and try to resist such thoughts with will power, but the obsessional thoughts , true to their characteristic ,are too poweful and you give up to them , as a result it leads to disharmony between you and your wife and now things have become so blown out , that your wife is getting hurt both physically and emotionally , whle you on the other hand is having distressed mental state with Obsessional thinking as a real curlprit causing stress in in your otherwise beautiful relationship.

So, i suggest that you and your wife seek marital therapy from a marriage counselor / relationship expert and work on building trust in each other and making your relationship stronger emotionally.

Secondly, you need to get your obsessional thinking controlled , and this you will not be able to do alone , so i suggest that you seek psychotherapy ( counseling ) for self , from a psychologist , preferrably Cognitive behaviour therapy ( CBT ) which is the best type of psychotherapy suited for controlling such obsessional thinking .

So, kindly do the needful as suggested above , as you have gone past that phase where both of you could have handled this issue mutually , now you need help of a professional such as a marriage counselor for marital therapy for both of you and psychologist for your obsessional thinking , for you alone.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much for such a helpful advice. Just wanted to let you know that i am very much aware about my problems even in worst mood. Is there any chance we can handle this mutually without seeing a psychiatrist. Even in this late stage my wife is very much willing to help.Is there any way she can help me to get out of this mess? i had informed her so many times that fight between us and self hurting only worsen my situation.

one question: can a person cry all the time by telling that "I have admitted everything" and self hurt while hiding any secret in their mind?

Thanks for the reply..

Well, your wife is willing to help , but she herself is not the right frame of mind to offer her support even her intentions cannot be doubted , so leave the counseling for yourself to a specialist like a psychologist .

Well, as far your second question is concerned , kindly give your wife a benefit of doubt , and trust her for once , for her sake and for the sake of your mental peace and for the sake of your relationship . She is crying aloud to prove that she is innocent , so shall you give her some respite from your obsessional doubting by believing in her.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..