Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

I have a 22 year old son who seems to be stuck . He dild no

Customer Question

I have a 22 year old son who seems to be "stuck". He dild not go to college. He taught dance for several years but now he is living in Orlando and doing nothing. we are paying his rent and enough money to get by on. Pot is involved. We want to have him see someone, either a life coach or a mental health counselor as a condition of our paying these expenses.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
You are thinking along the right lines but it is now time to follow through. By paying for his things you are making it too easy for him to not get a job. In a round about way you are also paying for his pot because that is more money for him to buy drugs with and not put towards his true responsibilities. You can make it a condition to get help but be prepared to get resistance. If you do get resistance then comes the hard part. Which is refusing to pay his way through life. If you stick to this plan then you may see some gains out of him. Keep in mind that if you do not follow through with your threats then he will never learn his lesson. I say go for it!!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have information about finding someone, with a life coach or mental health person?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
I would recommend a mental health therapist. this person can point your son and you in the right direction for help. You can look up mental health agencies in your phone book and make an appointment. Or look up Orlando mental health agencies online and find one.