Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

how do i know if i need a psychiatrist or a therapist whats

how do i know if i need a psychiatrist or a therapist whats the differents
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Tell me what your problems are and I might be able to help decipher for you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i went and saw a dotor he said im depressed i went and saw a therapist and it didnt help that was about 3 years ago and im tired of being like this its afecting my relationship with people

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i went and saw a dotor he said  im depressed i went and saw a therapist and it didnt help that was about 3 years ago and im tired of being like this its afecting my relationship with people

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
How long did you see a therapist? Why did you stop going? Have you ever tried meds?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i saw a therapist for about 7 weeks once a week first 4 times i sat there and didn't say anything the therapist didnt ask any questions then when i started to tell what happen to make me feel this way she cut me off and said times up it made me not want to go back. no i have not tried meds i wanted to get over it with out them but i dont know any more
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like you had a bad experience with the therapist. Some of it may have been that you were not ready to open up about your problems. But now you are in a different place in life where you want to get better. I would suggest touching base with a different therapist who would be more engaging then the last therapist. then as you and your therapist make a plan to getting you better, a discussion about meds should take place. My guess is a therapist is the way to go since you have been unable to do this on your own. then let the therapist make the call if you need to see a psychiatrist or not.