Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

My daughter is 14 years old and has never showed much emotion,

My daughter is 14 years old and has never showed much emotion, neither high nor low, nor does she exhibit an ounce of empathy (except to animals). She doesn't like physical attention, hugs, kisses, etc and she doesn't have a natural sense of curiosity about anything around her. I've yet to be able to get her to say "please" and "thank you" to anyone without prompting her. She is very active with her friends and seems to be sociable with them, just not with any of her family members. Is this a disorder of some sort? Should I seek help from a professional now or is it too late for her personality to change? And should I take HER or ME to talk with a professional?? Thanks for your time. Kelley
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
How does she do on school? Any behaviors there? Is this primarily directed towards you? Has this always been the case?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She does well in school, her only behavior issues are surprisingly that she talks too much. But her lack of empathy, or disassociation with people are usually around adults, but mainly with all of her family, of all ages. And yes, she's always been like this as far back as I can remember.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
So what exactly do you want from her? More manners? Happy around family? Say she is sorry?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We want her to show more emotion and empathy, not be so disconnected to people. Yes, say she is sorry and everything else that goes along with being an empathetic, caring person. My question is really, is this a personality disorder like "narcissism" or something like that and should we seek out professional testing and/or counseling for it. Thanks for your reply.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I am assuming that this is part of her personality. I don't know if it is a disorder but further testing may help clarify things. It almost sounds like Asperger's with the detachment and lack of emotion but this is only a guess. I would get her in to see a counselor and help uncover what truly is going on.