Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Is sleep medicine prescribed for bi-polar II

I was diagnosed w/depression 20 yrs ago, then correctly diagnosed bipolar about 10 yrs ago. I'm on Lithium and Zoloft which are working pretty well, but my main problem right now is sleep (not being able to get to sleep or waking in the middle of the night). The psyc. says that a "regular" sleep med (Ambian/Lunesta etc.) won't help me. I've tried Seroquel (bad side affects) and am now taking Resperidal (.5 mg) which doesn't seem to be enough. I don't want to increase the R. What should I do?
He is correct about sleep aids. Actually, I would talk to doctor about increasing the Zoloft. Waking in middle of night is almost always Depression. I wouldn't increse risperidol. Another option to increasing Zoloft, is addition of trazadone.