Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

I am trying to get help for my grandson who is into drugs and

I am trying to get help for my grandson who is into drugs and denial. He says he's had a hard life..which he hasn't. He's a great actor - claimed he was sick just to get some phenegran? Didn't know this was addictive. He also smokes pot.
I was wondering if you could help someone like this or do I need to go to a different kind of Dr.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Does he live with you? Is he open to help? Does he admit to having a problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He lived with me off and on till he was 17 then moved back home when mother (my daughter) got out of rehab. He resents that she "left" him for all those years and now is doing pretty much the same thing she did - just not as bad.

He admits to the pot but not the other stuff.

Sometimes he's open to talking to someone and sometimes not - just got to get to him at the right time.

Don't know where to turn. My other daughter and I are thinking of a family "meeting" to let him know we are aware of his feelings but what he is doing is not acceptible.

With him having the drug charge he is supposed to stay at home or work but he has since lost his job for a no show.

Do these interventions ever work? What should we cover in our conversation?

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
The interventions do work. You call the family together and tell him that everyone wants him to get help or that they will not support him or his addiction anymore. Have a place lined up for him to go prior to this meeting. Be ready to cut ties with him if he refuses to go. The family can no longer enable his addiction. You can also talk with the judge or prosecuting attorney and have him court-ordered to treatment. You should look into that option.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist.