Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I have an 9 year son who loves sports but gets so anxious before

Customer Question

I have an 9 year son who loves sports but gets so anxious before games it is preventing him from playing, what can I do to help him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, what your 9 year old son is experiencing is experienced by almost most of us at some point of time in our lives. You see mild to moderate grade anxiety is important for better performance at any task , be it before any exam or any game or sport , but the problem arises when the anxiety becomes so severe that it overwhelms the person so much so that the person gives up and is unable to perform the task at all. And exactly the same thing is happening with your son , but at such a young age , he has very good chances of overcoming his anxiety , so what is expected of you being his parent and guide is that you should ask him to go to the games without having fear of failure or any expections of himself to perform , as it is the expectation that he has from himself that weighs heavily on him and brings him down completely , so you need to calm him down and tell him that it is alright for him to not to succeed in his game , and just go out there without having any pressure to perform , he has full support of you as parents , and what actually matters is that he takes part in games , performance comes secondary.

So, even after counseling him , you are not able to make him come out of his anxiety which is situational , the situation being a game , then you shall consult a child psychologist who shall start him on counseling and thereby help him to get over anxiety related to game.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for mys ervice.

Regards..