Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have had depression for almost six years,untreated. At first,

I have had depression for almost six years,untreated. At first, I would get angry and irritated, then apathetic, and finally any small sign of pressure would make my heart race and make me almost incapable of making sound descicions. Then, my stomach would burn if I felt pressure from people, and now although rewmoved from all sort of uncomfortable places for me, I find myself chewing my fingers, I mean literally, inserting my finger all the way back of my teeth...Can this be a sign of a major disease?? I do it without knowing that I have done it, while I space off or read books, or use my computer. It grosses me out but it kinda relaxes me...I really would like an explanation.....At the beggining, it was gentle chewing, but it has increasingly gotten stronger, and I have blisters and cuts on my fingers.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, it seems like you are having what is called as Tic / Tic disorder , which is characterized by sudden , rapid , repetitive , purposeless involuntary movement/s or sounds . And this tic may have taken a form of a Compulsive habit as you find it as a relaxation act , which is characterisctic of a compulsion.

These tics are very common ,and usually do not require any treatment , as they get corrected by self regulation , but the problem arises when the tics become harmful to one's health , like it is happening in your case , as you have been inuring yourself due to this tic habit.

So, i suggest that you consult a psychologist and get yourself evaluated for tic disorder and on confirmation the psychologist shall be starting you on psychotherapy ( Counseling ) in the form of Habit reversal training ( HRT ) , which would help you to control this habit and overcome it without letting it cause any further damage and disfigurement to your body.

see the link below for better understanding ..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.