Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

My son will be 5yrs this september, and has been attending

Customer Question

My son will be 5yrs this september, and has been attending creche/ nursury since 5mths old. Over this time he has quite often cried uncontrollably when being left at nursury. His teachers maintain that he is fine when I leave, but I find it very distressing that at his age he would still be crying. We have spoke to our son on numerous occassions to ascertain why he cries, but he never gives us a clear answer. He appears to be very popular with the kids and is very well liked by staff also. Hetells us in advance that he will cry at nursury, does this mean that he is desparately unhappy in there? I'm worried how he will react to going to school in sept. Is there any advice you can offer?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,

This sounds like some anxiety on his part of being left there (it does not necessarily mean he's unhappy) and once you're out of sight, he probably starts crying.

instead of talking to him (at this age is better to use rewards/praise) let him know that when he gets there if he does not cry, he is to earn something (like a favorite treat, small toy, extra play time, stickers etc) but the rewards have to be immediate. Or you could let him know that he could play with something (s special toy etc) while on the way and back from the center if he does not cry.