Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

Me and my husband have been married 2 years, and He was very

Customer Question

Me and my husband have been married 2 years, and He was very (physically, mentally, emotionally, ect.) abusive towards me in the first year of our marriage, it seems to be over now, and has been for months now but my sex drive is gone and the thought of him kissing me or touching me is repulsive, also I am quick tempered and have hardly any feelings that are good for him anymore and he wants us to have our old spark back and so do I. I have researched and have all the symptoms of Post tramatic stress disorder Could this be the reason for my withdrawl from him? If it is, how do I explain all this to him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Your current feelings are definitely tied to the past abuse. Calling it PTSD might be a little much but in either case it has negatively affected the feelings you have toward him. talking it over with him has not been helpful so might I suggest another approach. I would recommend talking with a therapist, first for yourself to help sort through these feelings, and then invite him in to have your therapist explain 1) what you are dealing with, and 2) how he can help you. Marriage therapy may come down the road but first you have some things to sort out for yourself.