Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I am stuck on sad & cant get out of it at all. Pain pills

Customer Question

I am stuck on sad & can't get out of it at all. Pain pills were helping mask the problem. I know now that its the sadness that is the core to everything... What is my next step? RondamMy pain level is bad but my sadness sickens me...I need help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling with this depression. Congratulations on going through detox and rehab. I am guessing you are still sober from all mood altering substances. If not, that will keep the depression it a bad spot, particularly if you are drinking alcohol.

I would suggest seeking the services of a therapist and trying a different antidepressant. Sometimes adding a medication such as Abilify on top of an antidepressant will have great results. Also, I'm not sure if you went to AA/NA at any time during your recovery but the support of a self help group will help greatly with depression. Even if it is a depression support group. If you are still having pain, have you tried alternative methods of pain management? Acupuncture, hypnotherapy, chiropractor and massage?

I hope these suggestions help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,