Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

We live in southern california, id like to get help for my

We live in southern california, i'd like to get help for my daughter. I do not know what to do. She has/is using meth and is now violent and does not recognized her children and does not know what year it is. We have custody of her children but would like to somehow put her in treatment because of her condition. Please we need advise. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using Justanswer.com. I'm so sorry to hear your daughter and your family are going through this. To put her in treatment, generally she will have to be willing to go. This is the hard part. If she isn't willing to go there are only a few things you can do. First, if she appears to be a harm to herself or others, you can have her involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital against her will. (if she is does not know what year it is and doesn't recognize the children you may be able to commit her) There they will sober her up, get her stable psychiatrically and then you and the hospital may be able to convince her to go to treatment. Another option is to report anything she is doing that is illegal to the police. I know this is the last thing you want to do but it would get her away from using and most jails have therapeutic communities that help rehabilitate drug addicts. A third option is to call an interventionist in your area to conduct a family intervention to coerce her into treatment.

If the above options do not sound feasible, the only thing you can do is protect her children and seek treatment for them and for yourself to learn more about how to detach from her disease. You can get help by going to Alanon meetings or Families Anonymous meetings. Also you can read the book, "Getting them Sober", by Toby Rice Drews.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need clarification about this answer.

I wish you all the best with helping her.

Take care,
Kym
Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker