Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My husband is 45 yr. old and in good health. But, he gets

My husband is 45 yr. old and in good health. But, he gets very angry,
scary angry at night. The slightest thing can set him off. I'm wondering
if you know anything about this. My son and I are often upset at night
when this happens. I'm wondering if maybe there is a chemical response that happens later on in the day that triggers anger. It a predictable pattern and we have to really walk on eggshells
toward the end of our day so we don't upset him.
He's always much better/totally better in the if nothing ever happened the night before.

Thank you!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, the anger of your husband in the evenings / night coould be associated with stress that has built up throughout the day , and in evenings when your husband wants some time to spend alone , he gets angry when he is talked or bothered by any one , and in the bargain he vents out his day's stress and frustration in the form of anger outburts , so over here , there is no co-relation between his anger and the chemical response , it is simply because of his day's stress that he gets snappy and angry in the evenings.

So, the remedy to counter this problem , is to rake this topic up when he is in good mood either durimg the day or on a holiday and calmly ask him the reason for him being angry out of nothing on you guys and also explain to him that you are in full support of his , if he thinks that he wants to spend some time alone in the evening to de- stress , in this way if you carry out a warm heart to heart talk with him at a time when he is in a good mood , this way you will not only get to know about the real reason for him being unreasonably angry , but also you would be able to send across the signal that you are hurt and displeased with his ongoing anger outursts ,and this way , he wil surely come out clean on his stand , and will make improvement on his sporadic aggresive behaviour. And you have to coax him to let hmself open on this topic , as till date he hasbeen behaving as if nothing happend in the evening , which he most possibly does to escape embarrassment and altercation.

You may also suggest him to go for meditation or yoga exercises to de- stress himself, as these naturally help the person in overcoming stress that one gets due to the hectic life schedules.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.