Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

I have a panic fear that I will not be able to control myself

I have a panic fear that I will not be able to control myself and do something bad. How can I get rid of it?

Good Morning,

Anxiety/panic attacks and intrusive thinking can be managed with medication and with cognitive behavioral therapy. You may want to consult with a psychiatrist or your doc since, medication is quite helpful. Otherwise, work on reframing your thinking by substituting negative with postive ones or blocking negative thoughts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a very very short answer, it doesnt really offer any help. All of this I can read on any more less large physological website. I was looking for more extended answer. Maybe you can offer a specific technique and show me and example. Because my fears are such as jumping out of the window, or jumping under a train or even pushing someone under the train and such. Those are really scary thoughts which I've tried to substitute or block but doing it only makes the episode worse. I've getting more of those episodes lately and do not have money to afford a psychotherapist or psychiatrist. Much less I want to dope myself with medications and become a walking zombie. Hoping you can offer me some valuable input that I could actually use.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Very short and very unspecific.
Hi there,
I'll try to answer this question for you. First, I would suggest getting this workbook. This is a self help workbook that will teach you a number of techniques to help you when the thoughts become overwhelming. With panic attacks you have to learn deep belly breathing. This is the key. You always want to start on the exhale, hold for five seconds, breathe in for 6 seconds, exhale for 7 seconds. Returning to slow breathing and focusing on breathing brings the panic response to a halt. Only then can normal thinking return. Second you will want to learn grounding techniques. A good one is plant your feet firmly on the ground, imagine that you are growing roots into the ground. Then practice 5,4,3,2,1. Look around the room and name 5 things you see. Now name 4 colors you see and think of 4 things that go with those colors. Take 3 very deep belly breaths, Notice 2 smells in the room, 1 say a prayer or positive affirmation that calms you.

These are just a few techniques. You will find others in the workbook I recommended. Lastly, if you can not afford a counselor, you can call your local community mental health center and receive services based on your income. You may not need a psychiatrist but a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist would be great assistance to learning how to cope with your panic and anxiety.

I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need clarification about anything I have written here.

All the best,
Kym
Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker