cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

What is Axis II -V71.09 for a diagnosis of of my minor son

What is Axis II -V71.09 for a diagnosis of of my minor son? I need to know AXIS V GAF =37

Hi Auntie and thanks for using

Give me one second to access my online DSM-IV and I will respond. I bet you thought we had all these codes memorized, so you know we do not :) Cathy

Hi auntie and sorry to disappoint you v79.01 is no diagnosis. GAF score is an axis 5 diagnosis that is just below normal. Would you like me to send you a link to an online DSM-IV. Let me know how I can best help you on this. Warm regards. Cathy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What does Axis I -II III IV V mean? On the sheet there are five.

Axis I is the indicator we use for the primary diagnosis. It is what we treat and it is what we submit to the insurance companies for why we treat. It is not always correct but we do try.

Axis II is the indication for mental retaradation or for personality disorders. We almost never know this on our first exam. We usually write in "deferred" or if we have evidence of a developmental disability or a personality disorder we write "rule out-----"

Axis III is for medical disorders. If we interview a client who has a medical disorder like diabetes or hypertension this is where we address this.

Axis IV is for psycho social stressors eg., homelessness, unemployment and all matters of psycho social stressors.

Axis V is a global assessment score that tells us how the person functions on a day to day basis. It lets us know the severity of the impact of the mental illness or disorder on the persons ability to self care and perform activities of daily living.

I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask more questions if they are helpful to you. Cathy