Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

My grandson is exhibiting a perfectionist personality. He

My grandson is exhibiting a perfectionist personality. He is 15 years old. He may have a history of being abused as a child. At times his behavior is attention getting like that of a 5 year old. Talking obsessively to get his way. He thinks in all or nothing pattern.
Yesterday he talked about going camping for survival training. When I questioned him about the time period and pointed out that I wasn't sure about his camping experience he said he didn't want to talk further. He denies himself food if he feels it cost to much.
He has been to phychologist and a phychiatrist and he lyed to them to see if they would betray his confidence. He has experimented with marijuana and alcohol.
If I do take him to a phychiatrist again what type should he be referred to.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I'm so sorry to hear this is happening in your family. If you take him to another psychiatrist you would definitely want one that specializes in adolescents and possibly addictions and abuse issues.

It sounds like he is going to need very strict rules and boundaries in his life. He will need a parental figure that will make it a must to continue to see the psychiatrist and to participate in therapy not an option. I'm guessing his perfectionism also comes with arrogance that he knows more than the adults in his life. Is he disobeying the rules and still using marijuana and alcohol? If so, you may want to consider a CHINS petition if he is refusing to participate in treatment with therapists and psychiatrist and if he is refusing to participate with the rules you are trying to set. Ex. going camping when you ask him not to or not going back to the Dr. This is an extreme suggestion but if he violates the CHINS then he will be forced to seek more in depth treatment for his issues rather than decide whether or not he wants to see a psychiatrist for his troubles. Here is more information about a CHINS petition.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification of this answer.

Best of luck with him,
Kym
Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker