Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

I think I might have an eating disorder, but Im not sure.

I think I might have an eating disorder, but I'm not sure. From the time I can remember, even in 6th grade, I remember thinking I was "different" than the other girls. The word "fat" never crossed my mind. I thought I was "bigger" than them but couldn't seem to put it into words. I remember in 8th grade I wouldn't let my legs touch the chair, because I thought it made them look big. All through high school I thought I was fat and needed to lose weight, but looking back at pictures I see that I was actually at a good weight. Now I'm a college student. This past summer I started restricting calories, eating anywhere from 200 - 800 calories a day. But when school started I just sort of stopped. I mean I still thought I was fat and knew I needed to lose weight, but I just didn't act on those thoughts, I ignored them. But now they're getting harder to ignore. I'm a type 1 diabetic who uses an insulin pump, and lately I haven't been using it. I went all last month without a drop of insulin and lost 10 pounds. That wasn't my intention when I took it off, I was just tired of being attached to it 24/7. But I put it back on about 5 days ago and gained the weight back. Two days ago I took it off again. I'm not sure if I'm not taking insulin just to lose weight or not. I'm just confused. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little concerned, but I can't tell anybody. They wouldn't believe me. I'm 19, 5'3'' and about 135 pounds.. I mean who would think I could have any type of eating problems? I'm almost considered clinically overweight I think... I'm just so confused right now. What do you think?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. It does sound like you have an eating disorder. With eating disorders it doesn't necessarily matter how much you weigh. It's more about obsessing about body image, calories etc. and trying nit to think about these things but being unable to stop the behaviors permanently. It's really hard to diagnose you in this setting so I would suggest going for a confidential evaluation with a therapist that specializes in eating disorders. They will be able to give you more sound advice about this issue and then direct you appropriately.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you gave any other questions.

Take care,
Kym

Edited by Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH on 2/10/2010 at 8:11 AM EST
Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well.. Can you have an eating disorder even if you don't always practice disordered eating? Like if you can go a few months where you're "normal"? Because that's kind of what I do. I go a period of time where I'm normal and then it seems to come back...
Hi again,
This can happen. It usually happens when things are more stressful when things seem less in control for someone. My major concern for you us the manipulation of the insulin pump. This is a major red flag for eating disordered people. It's risky behavior and could have serious consequences if it gets out of hand.

Sorry, not trying to scare you but just concerned and feel an evaluation would be beneficial.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Well if I did go to see someone, like a psychiatrist, how would I bring it up? I told my best friend about my concerns a few months ago and she thinks I'm faking it or something.. Because she doesn't think eating disorders are real, just a bunch of stupid girls trying to get attention or something like that. So I don't really know what to say if I went to see someone...
Thanks for this question as well. I would actually suggest a therapist that specializes in eating disorders rather than a psychiatrist because they will probably try to give you meds which won't really address the issue. I would suggest not talking to people about it that don't understand it until you have a really good understanding about it because that type if attitude can feed into denial, which is very high for people with eating issues and can lead to more risky behaviors.
I hope this helps.
All the best,
Kym
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Well thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. It's.. It's kind of nice to know that I'm not the only person who thinks I have issues with food. It makes it a little easier I guess? Well thank you again. Kassie.
You're welcome Kassie. I hope my suggestions help. Take care.