Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

my 5 year old daughter can be fairly aggressive and defiant

my 5 year old daughter can be fairly aggressive and defiant the school wants to place her in a behavior disability classroom I am refusing. I believe she is just angry because of her life style at home her father is a very angry man which in return makes me angry and impatient. I'm spending more time with her and speaking to her in a calm voice and making her older sister and dad do the same. It seems to make a difference at home but not at school. What do you think we should do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear she is having this anger issues. It sounds like you have tried many of the behavioral techniques that would be recommended. I suspect she is still acting out at school because she can't express it at home? Maybe because of her father's past displays of anger? I'm not sure with this small look into her behavior. Regardless, I have a few suggestions you may want to consider. One, take her for a few sessions to a child therapist to see if after a full evaluation there are any suggestions based on your family dynamics that might be helpful. Second, I would suggest her father seeing a therapist that specializes in anger management to stop the root of the behavior problems. Third, family therapy might be a next step after dad has worked on his anger some.

I hope that answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification about this answer.
Take care,