Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

Suppose a person with OCD may not be aware of having the disorder,

Suppose a person with OCD may not be aware of having the disorder, how does one approach this person. The person in question has an obsession with coins collected at his AA Group. He has been Treasurer of the Group, and recently has been replaced by another member (me). His obsession is obstructing me from carrying out my job efficiently. Other Group members are concerned also, because his behaviour is beginning to have a negative affect on the Group as a whole. I have not taken any action, but together with other members we are planning to have a chat with this person. In your view is there a possibility that he may become agressive/dangerous?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear he is having this problem with obsessions. It sounds like a good plan to have a talk with him. OCD is another illness just like alcoholism. It is very hard to predict if the person will become aggressive or if he will have a great amount of denial. I would suggest having a trusted member/members approach him with your concerns in a loving and nonjudgemental manner. If he has a sponsor he trusts that might be the person who should be the spokesperson. If he is willing to listen, you all could tell him you will support he as he seeks therapy for this illness.

I hope this answer helps and I wish you all the best with this.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,