Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

During my last pregnancy I started struggling with over obsessing

Customer Question

During my last pregnancy I started struggling with over obsessing with problems that could have happened.I had a m/c before my last healthy pregnancy.I saw everything as germs and every illness possible.After our son was born, I struggled with post-partum depression.I talked to people and I feel like I'm doing much better however there are still certain situations that cause extreme panic attacks.I've gotten better about using germx and not being so obsessive about germs but the other day we were cleaning a spare room and we found something that could have been a mouse dropping however there were no other signs of a mouse and my husband is the one who picked up the dropping with a baby wipe.We both washed our hands and he even showered after searching the closet for more signs. (there was nothing). There is something called the hantavirus that one can get from mouse droppings and now I'm obsessing about my family being exposed - its deadly and I'm beside myself.How be normal again?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Hello Tigerlily,
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear you are struggling with these obsessive thoughts. They can be very annoying to say the least. It sounds like you are struggling with a form of obsessive compulsive disorder. There are a couple of different options to learn how to manage this better. I would suggest either trying a self help workbook for Obsessive Compulsive disorder or seeing a therapist in your area that specialized in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
Here are some suggestions to get you started.
The OCD Workbook
Coping with OCD: practical strategies.

I hope these suggestions help. Please let me know if you have further questions about this answer.

Take care,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My OB believes this was triggered by my m/c. Is that possible? Also my husband and I are thinking about more children - will it get worse like it did during my pregnancy?
Hello again,
Yes it is possible for it to be triggered by a miscarriage. Here is an article discussing this further and the different types of anxiety disorders associated with miscarriages. It could get worse if you become pregnant again. I would suggest if you do have another child to develop a relapse warning sign checklist with your husband. If any of the signs or symptoms come up, make sure you have a psychiatrist on hand to help you manage the symptoms with medication if needed. However, if you learn coping skills now and discuss medication options during or after pregnancy just in case, it may be more manageable and/or less severe.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much.