Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

My partner has a anxiety problem where he worries compulsively

Customer Question

My partner has a anxiety problem where he worries compulsively about a series of related events often about technology and how events could lead to what he sees is the worse case scenario. He can have panic attacks about this, for instance if there is a related item on the news. He has been to councilling and been on medication in the past (which he is off at the recommendation of this doctors). I just don't know how to know what to do that is helpful when he has these panic attacks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Hello:

It is very distressing to watch someone you care about suffering in this way. Please encourage him to see a cognitive-behavioral therapist who can help him get through these attacks. He also needs to have another medication evaluation. If he was taking benzodiazepines the doctors were correct in telling him to stop, but there are many good anti-depressants which also work very well for panic and anxiety. He needs to talk to his doctor about one of these. Examples would be: Sertraline, Cipramil, Lexapro, Paroxetine, and Venlafaxine.

When he is having an attack, just calmly talk him through it. Encourage him to breath in through his nose and out through his mouth, holding the breath for 3 counts before he exhales. Make sure you say things like "This will be over soon" "Keep breathing" and you can breath along with him if you wish.

He may benefit from listening to some relaxation CDs, which you can do together. You may also try yoga or meditation. Any of these interventions will help.

I wish you well. Best to you and your partner.