Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

My fiance started taking Vyvanse 6 weeks ago. He has addiction

My fiance started taking Vyvanse 6 weeks ago. He has addiction issues with alcohol and cocaine, clean for 5 years and then slowly started binging about once a month over the past year. SInce taking the Vyvanse, the abuse has heavily increased to every few days. Drug warning specifically says do not take if you have problems with addiction, but yet it was prescribed anyway. Should he stop taking this drug? How does the combination of alcohol, cocaine, and the Vyvanse effect his body, like his heart, liver, and kidneys? He fears losing his job if he quits taking the Vyvanse because it has really helped him focus and excel at work. Help, please. Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Hi rbech,

It would be best if both of you went and spoke with his doctor about what is going on. There are other drugs for ADD that have less addictive trigger potential that he can try. He's in a dangerous place right now health-wise, as you guessed - all these drugs are not good for him. He also needs to get his addiction treated and back on a recovery program. You're at a turning point right now, and you may lose your window of opportunity, so act now and get back to the doctor.
My best to you.