Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

My little brother recently lost his girlfriend and various

My little brother recently lost his girlfriend and various friends. When he sees something beautiful like a sunset it's brilliance is overwhelming, the colors are incredibly vibrant and then they start fading into pastels, like blurred vision, a lack of definition of color. which then leads to an anxiety attack which triggers thoughts of hopelessness and unease. He was previously on medication for depression long term but got off of the meds about 6 months ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Hi ramsey,

I'm not really sure what that is that happens before his anxiety attack. It may be that the adrenaline is starting to amp up before he's really aware of it, and that produces the color effect. It sounds to me like he needs to be back on antidepressants, which will often work on anxiety as well. It's time for him to go back to the doctor and see what they think. I suspect he has depression and panic attacks.