Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I was diagnosed with depression and mild anxiety disorder back

I was diagnosed with depression and mild anxiety disorder back in 1993 and was put on Zoloft; I took it successfully for 15 or more years but was unable to have sex. I tried other anti-depressants and found one that allowed me to have sex but now I am having stomach problems whiich I believe is related to anxiety. When I have the indigestion nothing seems to help but ativan tablet. I have been checked out at the hospital and nothing is wrong physically and the procedure was used to look into my stomach and nothing there to explain my symptoms. I am returning to Zoloft and have been on it now for about a week; I am still having a little indigestion even now but things some better.
Do you agree my indigestion is related to anxiety and do you think that eventually the Zoloft will help me as it did years ago? Are there other medicines now that could help?
Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

If the Ativan helps it every time, then it's anxiety. Are there other meds that can work? Yes, there are many new ones since Zoloft came out, and the sexual side effects are very different with the newer ones. Wellbutrin seems to have the least in that area - not causing as much decrease in libido and inhibited orgasm. Effexor works well with depression and anxiety. There are a few similar to Effexor now that deal with both of those issues, and again, less sexual side effects.

I recommend that you talk with your doctor about trying some of the newer drugs. Being depressed and not being able to have sex makes for more depression and isolation, which increases anxiety...it's a bad loop to get caught up in.

And one other point, in most people, Zoloft only works for a number of years ( from 3-7). Taking that into account, your anxiety may not have increased per se, but you just lost the effectiveness of the Zoloft to treat your depression.

I think you would do well to take a newer antidepressent with an anti-anxiety medication for breakthrough anxiety, but I'm not a doctor. You should talk with yours about this.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried Wellbutrin successfully for a couple of years now and have had sex successfully with it. However, I need something for anxiety which Wellbutrin is not supplying evidently. Hence my stomach, indigestion problem. Is the Effexor good for anxiety? I think I will ask my doctor about that. Do you know, recommend something just for anxiety that I could take along with the Wellbutrin?

Thanks

Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

Your welcome,Customer Effexor is good for both the Dep & Anx. If the wellbutrin worked well for you, you might be able take that and Ativan or Klonepin for the anxiety when you need it. Your doctor will know better which ones work together. But to make a long story shorter...
You might find one of the meds like Effexor that will work on both your Dep and your anxiety.
You also might do well with an antidepressant and a seperate anti-anxiety medication.

Both are good options.

My best to you.
Anna