Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

what is the best to take for severe anxiety. I take up to 5

what is the best to take for severe anxiety. I take up to 5 -10mg tablets of valium and it does nothing. what do you recomend
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Hey GLV,

There isn't a best medication for anxiety, there is only the best one for you. Unfortunately it can take a year or more sometimes to find that combo, but keep at it, because when you hit it right, all the planets line up and you feel like you've got control of your life again. Talk with your doctor and let them know that you're having too many breakthrough symptoms for the current medication mix to be working right. Adding more won't do it at the levels you're on, I think you need different meds....but which ones? Try to work with one doctor till you find out.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about xanax
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Xanax is really addictive and has a horrible backlash anxiety problem if you miss a dose, so I wouldn't put that on the first seat on the bus. Klonopin and Effexor is a great combo, but might or might not work for've got to try it. Keep trying till you get it, though - it's worth it.