Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My son is beside himself with what a family phsycologist has

Customer Question

My son is beside himself with what a family phsycologist has termed "intrusive thoughts" he can't focus at school, he has constant headaches, he doesn't sleep and when I try to get him help I end up waiting weeks to a Month between available appointments with both a clinical Phsyciatrist and Phsyc evaluation facility. He is talking like he's suicidal and I don't know what to do.
A Mom
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

It sounds like you're doing the right things. Mental Health systems sometimes seem designed to keep people out rather than let them in. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that right now when your son needs help.

When he is suicidal, take him to the nearest hospital. That will bump him up on the service lists, and will get him in front of a psychiatrist. It's not the best way to go about things, but it's pretty effective.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is not really an option for us seeing as I am currently unemployed and I have to use public transportation, also he is suicidal every day. Talking about it to a professional does not seem to help him.

I can't get him to take the medication that is prescribed because of the way it makes him feel when he tries to go to school.

Our insurance coverage is limited and I can't afford to go outside our services guidlines.

My husband works and does just well enough that we cannot qualify for help.

Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

You've got a difficult and complex situation that is out of the scope of what I can help you with through Just Answer. The best I can do is to recommend that you try to find online support for yourself as you face his mental illness, and keep trying to find a window of opportunity within your own system.

I'm going to opt out so that another expert might be able to help you.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Forget it......

I'm done.