Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I lost my job four months ago and have been under stress and

I lost my job four months ago and have been under stress and anxiety lately. During a discussion with a friend on January 7th about steroids and wrestlers, I saw alot committed suicide. I dont know if it creeped me out or what? Since then I have those thoughts in my head if I could do that or would I? And So far I have said NO I would not. It just wont leave my brain.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

Hi SFhome,

It sounds like you've got some underlying OCD or anxiety that has been brought to the front due to your job stress. The discussion about the wrestlers was probably a pretty random thing for your brain to latch onto, but that happens all the time. The anxiety is high and the brain locks on and doesn't want to let go. What you're having now are intrusive thoughts. If you feel like you want to start acting on them or feel you can't resist them, you need to see a doctor right away. If you don't have one, go to the ER for help, and they can give you some medication that will quiet your brain.

In the mean time, here is a way to get rid of them.

Intrusive Thought Elimination

When you have an intrusive, unwanted thought, understand that you can't control what pops into your head, but you can control what your mind does with it once it's there. This is a big key to success. Understanding that, you choose a positive thought - one that brings up a good feeling in you. Picture it in your mind and sit with it for a minute to enhance the positive feeling, and give this picture/feeling an affirmation that goes with it. IE: picture a warm walk on a sunny day and say to yourself, "I'm on the path to recovery and I know I'm going to make it."

Every single time one of the unwanted thoughts pops up in your mind, exchange it for your chosen thought. Do this every single time no matter if you have to do it 100 times an hour. Do it without fail. What you'll accomplish is to re-train your brain and you'll see that your intrusive thoughts will trigger your chosen thought, which will give you relief.

Anna

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do good on certain days but at same time it pops in my mind. I dont understand it? I have told myself its gonna get better and it works but im super stressed out. The simple fact is that I'm bugged that suicide even pops into my brain. I never have thought of that in my life before. An, It came into my brain after reading up on wrestlers. Its more like my brain doesnt want to me to forget about it and when I dwell on it, it makes it worse.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

Hey SF,

This is a symptom of anxiety. It could have been anything, really. The people who get stuck on thinking of platypus bills think they're psychotic. Its like a pingpong ball bounces around in your head and boom! That's going to be your unlucky thought. Read this article on OCD. Maybe it will help you to understand more about it. You do want to get treatment for something that bothers you so much, because these things get more entrenched the longer they stay.

OCD

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.