Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I am afraid that I have psychopathic traits. I looked up &

I am afraid that I have psychopathic traits. I looked up & found 20 "symptoms" for lack of a better word, and have 9 of them, most notably that it would not bother me if innocent people were killed & I was the cause. This bother me enough that I can't be called a true psychopath, and I really need so help with this, but the only psych. we have comes to our town once every 8 weeks.
Having traits means very little. Diagnosis is much tougher than that. There are things that contradict the diagnosis. First and foremost, I have never had someone ask me if they were a psychopath that was. It would never even occur to them. Don't worry about this. Re: not bothering you...... the fact that makes you worried is also a vote against psychopath. Quit beating yourself up over this and work on the issues you really have.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, the fact that these characteristics are all true doesn't matter? And even if it doesn't, if I talk to my doc. about them, would he want to lock me up because he thinks I'm a danger? If I tell him I have worked out a plan to set a fire in an apartment building, but havne't yet had the guts to do it, knowing I have been charged with 8 arsons in the past? I really need to talk about this but I'm afraid to.

• deceptive behaviour & lying
  • little remorse or guilt (none)
  • need for stimulation
  • conning & manipulative
  • callus with a lack of empathy
  • poor self-control
  • irresponsible behavoiour
  • breaking parole or probation
  • varied criminal activity
No, as long as you are not planning to do anything harmful immediately. BPD, or Psychopathic, they are pretty close anyway. I wouldn't argue with either diagnosis. Either way you need to work on your anger and alienation towards people and impulsive acting out. You diagnosis means nothing. It is your feeling and actions that count and need some working on.