Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.

my daughter has been diagnosed with clinical depression. she

Customer Question

my daughter has been diagnosed with clinical depression. she has suffered non epileptic seizures ( absences) for a while now. Out of the blue, yesterday she told us that she has to cut out all communication with her family indefinately as it may have been triggered by something in her childhood. we have never been included in any therapy sessions or asked anything about her childhood. surely the family is considered before this decision is made. We are left wondering what we have done wrong. I feel as though i am grieving, it has been such a shock. is this normal procedure/practice.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Wow, I guess I am not sure what she told her therapist during session to provoke that response. It could be common practice if the therapist felt that her family is contributing to her problems but this is all based off of what your daughter said. The family does not get input into the counseling session unless the patient agrees to this. If you are concerned about this then you can ask your daughter if you can participate in therapy. You can also ask your daughter what her grievances are against the family in order to get some clarity on the matter. But otherwise, your daughter can keep everything private if she wants to. Another route you can take is to send the therapist a letter regarding your concerns and background information. Now the therapist cannot contact you without your daughter's permission but the therapist surely can review the letter with your daughter and it might give them insight to discuss in session. This might be your only chance at getting input to the therapist. Good luck.